martes, 27 de abril de 2010

USEFUL LANGUAGE TO IMPROVE YOUR WRITING




WRITING A COVERING LETTER


  • I am writing in reply to your advertisement.

  • I would like to apply for the position of...

  • I am interested in gaining experience in...

  • I enclose/attach my CV as requested.

  • I am available for an interview at your convenience.

  • Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.

  • I look forward to hearing from you.

  • Thank you for your time and consideration.



  • EXPRESSING AN OPINION


  • It could be argued that...

  • It is fair to say that...

  • It is generally recognized that...

  • It is reasonable to say that ...

  • It seems to me that...

  • Many people feel that ...

  • Most people would agree that ...

  • There is no doubt that...

  • As I see it...

  • In my opinion...

  • From my point of view...



  • DESCRIBING A FILM/TV SHOW/SERIES


  • It is based on...

  • The show/film is named after...

  • It follows the lives of...

  • It tells the story of ...

  • It stars...

  • The role of ... is played by...

  • What I liked most/least about it was...

  • Critics praise it for ...



  • INFORMAL EMAILS, POSTCARDS OR LETTERS


  • How are you doing?

  • Thanks for your email/letter.

  • Sorry I haven't written for ages/so long.

  • It was great to hear from you.

  • This is just a quick note to say...

  • Speak to you later.

  • Bye for now. Speak soon.

  • All the best and love to your family.

  • Say hi to everyone from me.

  • Love from everybody here.

  • Keep in touch.



  • NARRATIVE LANGUAGE


  • At first...

  • At the beginning ...

  • Initially ...

  • After a while ...

  • Later on ...

  • Afterwards ...

  • Subsequently ...

  • In the end ...

  • Finally ...



  • INVITATIONS

FORMAL



  • It gives us great pleasure to invite you to ...

  • We would be delighted/pleased if you could join us.

  • Mr and Mrs X request the pleasure of your company at...

INFORMAL



  • Do you fancy/do you feel like coming round to my place?

  • What about/how about going out tonight?

  • We were wondering if you'd like to come with us.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario