Ellipsis of repeated verb phrases
Laura has
never been to the states but her sister has (been there).
Gary thinks he is right, but he isn’t (right).
They said I would
love the film, but I don’t think I would
(love it).
substitute an auxiliary or modal
verb for the repeated verb phrases
I didn’t
like the film, but Mike did (= liked the film).
if the verb phrase is in the present
or past simple, substitute do/does/did for it
I thought I would be able to come tonight,
but in fact I can’t (come tonight).
I know you’ve never learned to drive,
but I really think you should have
(learned to drive).
A: You must see his latest film.
B: I already have (seen it).
I haven’t been
to (= went to) Egypt, but I’d love to
(go there).
You can do the ellipsis of repeated
verb phrases even if the modal/auxiliary verbs are different
The students cheated in the exam, even though I told them not to (cheat).
When the elliptical verb phrase is
an infinitive phrase, you can substitute in to.
Substitution
To avoid repeating a
verb phrase, or even a whole sentence, you can use so.
I’ll have finished the work by
Friday, or at least I hope so
(= I’ll have finished the work by Friday).
A: Will you be working on Saturday?
B: I suppose so (= I will be working on Saturday), unless we get
everything done tomorrow.
Mark loves animals, and his sister
even more so (= loves
animals).
You can use so in this manner after
the following verbs: assume, believe, expect, guess, hope, imagine, presume,
suppose, think, be afraid, appear, seem, say
A: Do you think it’ll rain tonight?
B: I hope not (= it won’t rain
tonight).
A: She’s not very likely to pass, is
she?
B: No, I’m afraid not (= she isn’t
likely to pass).
The children may be back, but I
don’t think so (= they are back).
I know she liked the present, even
though she didn’t say so (= she liked the present).
affirmative verb + not: be afraid, assume, guess, hope, presume, suspect
negative verb + so: believe, expect, imagine, think
LINK 1
LINK 2
TRY ANOTHER EXERCISE

No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario